20 November, 2016

The Power of Story

When I asked him what his values were, he looked a bit lost. After some thought, he said the 7 Habits book had influenced him greatly. But as a coach,  I saw a difference between ‘influencing’ and ’driving’. For, values not only influence - they drive every one of our actions and define our emotional states. Experiences aligning with our values are considered reward and violation a threat.
So I had to make him think deeper.
The solution?  Tell a story, a personal experience that shaped my own life. I shared one such, and voilà, he immediately came up with five of his own values.
That's the power of the story. It has the power to shift your thinking.

No comments:

Pause. Think. Go.

Flash back It was several years ago that I met him on a Bombay Walk - the ones where they take you around to see and learn about the colonia...