06 April, 2017

The Age of 'Planted Facts'

Economist John Keynes was quoted as saying, “When the facts change, I change my mind.“ Which  sounds as a statement distinctly lacking intellectual honesty. Turned out what he actually said was,  “When my information changes,  I alter my conclusions.”

There is a subtle, but important difference between, “the facts” and ”the conclusions”. The former refers to some objective change, that is, or should be, apparent to all: the latter to the speaker's knowledge of relevant facts.
But in times rich with ‘planted facts’, how is one to reliably distinguish between objective and subjective facts? 

We do live in difficult times!

No comments:

Pause. Think. Go.

Flash back It was several years ago that I met him on a Bombay Walk - the ones where they take you around to see and learn about the colonia...