30 March, 2017

Your Words Reflect Your Attitude

Today's ETPanache has a story which talks of Apple CEO Tim Cook and Google CEO Sundar Pichai’s tendency to resorting to catch phrases. Cook prone to the catchphrase “mother of all” and Pichai “early days”. The article suggests the two go in for a ‘vocabulary’ upgrade. But I see it differently.

To me, it is a reflection of their attitudes and the culture of the organisation they head. After all, words are merely a vehicle for our thoughts, an articulation of a perspective. Analysing the catchphrases through this lens, suggests to me the following about the two:

Tim Cook: Looks at situations in an exaggerated fashion. Not to say it’s bad - after all Steve Jobs always thought in grand terms. And succeeded.

Sundar Pichai: Looks a situation as “work in progress”. To me that indicates a need to get it right, of perfection.
Have I got it right,  I have no idea, I will when I start coaching them : )

So how would you assess the two personalities, based on their tendency to use their favourite catchphrases?

No comments:

Pause. Think. Go.

Flash back It was several years ago that I met him on a Bombay Walk - the ones where they take you around to see and learn about the colonia...